Friday, August 28, 2009

A Few Good Men


I've seen this movie before, and you can usually find it on some of my top 10 lists, but rather than review it (it should be a classic in everyone's eyes....), I'd like to share the moment when I first saw this film...

I was maybe about 15 when I first saw this movie, and it was during a Boy Scout retreat. We were going white water rafting for the weekend, and on our way down to the campsite, we drove in our Scoutmaster's car, who also happened to be the father of my good friend, Steve. Now, this car was sweet because it was one of those vans that had a tv in it so that we could hook up the Nintendo 64 (yup....old school....) and watch movies. So after we had enough of GoldenEye on the N64, we decided to watch "A Few Good Men."

Now, I had never heard of this movie before, but I HAD heard one of it's most famous quotes before ("You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!"), but I just never knew it was in this film. So we're watching the movie, and we get to the campsite, and it's not finished. So we continue to watch the film as everyone else sets up their tents (I know, so scout-like of us, lol), but before you know it, all the other scouts start piling in the car to join us. So we get to the part where Jack Nicholson gets put on the stand, and the conversation between him and Tom Cruise gets heated, and FINALLY...he says it....

"You want the truth? You can't HANDLE the truth!"

And then the power shut off....

And it was a beautiful moment! It was like we were meant to see the movie ONLY for that one quote! And honestly, I don't even remember watching the rest of the film until a few years later, but I just remember that line, and the amazing acting on all accounts, and even though I think lawyer movies are super boring, I thought this one was more than entertaining.

And so, that's my story about seeing "A Few Good Men," and I don't think I'll ever forget it... :)

Clearly, this movie needs NO RED BULLS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment