Monday, August 17, 2009

District 9


I don't think words can express how awesome and creative this movie was, let alone my nerdy blog. But that's just it....this movie was PHENOMENAL!!!

First of all, it was DIFFERENT--more different than any other movie I've ever seen. I mean, yeah, we've seen alien movies before, but none like this. The aliens were unique, too, which I also liked.

The story was also fantastic! It wasn't just about humans vs. aliens...it was about trying to co-exist. And it made you think--WHAT IF? What if aliens came down to our planet and couldn't get home? Would we exterminate them in fear that they would exterminate us first? Or would we help them? And if we did, would we help them humanely or INhumanely? In the movie, the humans THINK they are helping the aliens by keeping them secluded, but the whole situation kept reminding me of the Holocaust or about being black in the 1960s...

I also need to give mad props to the lead, Sharlto Copley. His performance as Wikus was excellent! Everything that this man goes through, he was emotionally present for. These days, we rarely get to see film characters go through an actual journey. But to see who Copley was in the beginning, only to see how his transformation affects him in the end was a beautiful process to behold. And he held NOTHING back! One minute his character was selfish and wanted nothing more than to fix himself, and the next minute he was completely selfLESS by saving the alien race. Copley's character of Wikus alone made for a fantastic storyline to follow...

I really don't know what else to say, but I do clearly remember watching 98% of the movie with my mouth hanging wide open. I was seriously in shock as to how amazing this piece of film was....every second of it! And I must admit, this movie's marketing ploy of using Peter Jackson as a sell point even though he was only a producer was brilliant! I admit, that's what got me to go, but you also have to commend Neill Blomkamp for directing such an amazing and unique film! He had a huge role to take on, but with Jackson backing him up, I now trust the both of them... ;)

But I leave you with this....

What would YOU do if an alien spaceship landed on Earth and could not get back to its home planet? Would you run? Would you want to see it? Would you be scared? Would you welcome them? Would you want the government to control them? But most of all....would you SACRIFICE yourself for them???

Here's to when that day actually comes....

I give this movie NO REDBULLS
(meaning that I would see it again in a heartbeat, WITHOUT my favorite energy drink...)

No comments:

Post a Comment