Monday, August 17, 2009

Coraline


I finally sat down to watch Coraline today, and it definitely lived up to it's expectations, but not beyond them...

I feel this movie received a lot of hype when it was in the theatres. Maybe too much? But no, I think it deserved the recognition. It was a very imaginative film, and the animation was beautifully done. I only wish I had been able to see it in 3D.

I guess I was just expecting it to "change my life" somehow, but it didn't. I think sometimes when a movie gets a lot of hype when it first comes out, we expect so much that by the time we finally do get around to seeing it, it's never usually as good as what we expected. But only because we then expect too much. I think I expected too much....

I also thought the voiceovers were only mediocre. Dakoda Fanning was great as Coraline, but Teri Hatcher was so monotone and boring until the very end. I understand she was supposed to be boring and bland, which was why Coraline wanted a different mother in the first place, but even when she was the evil witch her expressions didn't change much. I thought the secondary characters where FAR more interesting and advanced than Teri Hatcher's character. And that's a shame, because I LOVE Desperate Housewives! Even clumsy Susan.... ;)

I give this movie 1.5 REDBULLS
(meaning I would need to drink 1 and a half Redbulls to watch this movie again....but I would mostly only watch it again for its unique imagery and visual effects....)

No comments:

Post a Comment