Sunday, June 19, 2011

Xmen: First Class


I'll be honest when I say that I had low expectations for this movie. I never expected an Xmen movie with young actors to be good, but when it started earning some hype (and when I got 3 free tickets after buying the originals on blue-ray), I decided to give it a chance. And let me just say, I am glad that I did!

All the actors were perfectly cast, particularly James McAvoy as Charles Xavier (aka Professor X), Michael Fassbender as Magneto, and of course, Kevin Bacon as the evil Sebastian Shaw. The three of these actors "stole the show" for me, so to speak, and I commend them highly for doing so.

The plot of this Xmen installment was also more than exceptional! The way Bryan Singer and Sheldon Turner incoporared the Cuban missile crisis into the story was beyond creative. And Matthew Vaughn's direction clearly brought out both the humor and sincerity of the film. As a gay man, I enjoyed the cleaver phrase, "Mutant and proud!"

With this being said, if I had to see this movie again, I would need:

1 RED BULL
(And I would mostly want this Red Bull for the enjoyment of it, not to keep me awake...)

SPOILER ALERT: If there was only one disappointment in the film, it was the absence of a "mini scene" at the end of the credits. So if you're looking for a traditional Xmen tease, don't bother waiting. I also liked seeing Wolverine's cameo during the recruting montage. Nothing like a good montage to keep a movie going, am I right? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment