Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Green Lantern


Eh.

But let me preface my review in admitting that we ALL love Ryan Reynolds! His acting is natural, he's always good for a laugh, and he's got a 6-pack of abs (maybe even an 8-pack!) that could make anyone orgasm in an instant. We love you Ryan Reynolds, and you make for the perfect super hero! (And a big shout out goes to Peter Sarsgaard for his creepy rendition of Hector Hammond. Nicely done!)

But as for the film...

Again, I say, "Eh."

The plot of Green Lantern was pretty typical. Guy gets special powers without wanting the responsibility, but ends up saving the day in the end. We've seen plenty of those films before! The concept of green light versus yellow light (a.k.a. fear) I liked, but the evil Parallax just reminded me of when the Hulk's father turned into a gas monster in the horrible 2003 version of the Hulk. Or when He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named is no more than a cloud of smoke in the first two Harry Potter films. Such concepts of evil are somewhat boring and pretty untheoretical to me.

Which reminds me about what comic books are truly made of.....STORY. Every good comic book super hero has a good story. It has heart. I just felt like the Green Lantern "lost it's flame a bit" so to speak, pun intended. Although (SPOILER ALERT!!!), I like the potential ending for a sequel in which Mark Strong's Sinestro (another great role for another worthy actor) puts on the ring of fear. Now THAT can make for an interesting story...

If I had to see this movie again, I would need:

2 RED BULLS
(I would say 3, but Ryan Reynolds is so freakin' hot!)

Let's just hope the sequel has a better plot line, and of course, MORE RYAN REYNOLDS! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment