Monday, October 5, 2009

Whip It

http://flavorwire.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/whip-it-big.jpg

CONGRATULATIONS DREW BARRYMORE!!!

As her beautiful directorial debut, Whip It is a wonderful girl-power movie about discovering oneself through rollerblading.

Ellen Page makes a great main character for us. Her awkwardness is always adorable. And although her natural talents remind me of the same character we saw in Juno, this time around, Ellen was a bit more shy rather than sarcastic. That being said, she was still perfectly cast. :)

Marcia Gay Harden also gives a splendid performance as Ellen Page's mother. That woman can take the simplest of roles and turn it into a character that's deep and beautiful. She's my muse. :)

And you know who I hadn't seen since Home Alone??? Daniel Stern! And wow, can this guy act! What a touching, supportive performance as Ellen's father! I was thoroughly impressed. As was I with Ellen's best friend, Alia Shawkat as Pash. Both did a job well done. :)

Who I really loved, however, was Kristen Wiig. I've always admired this woman. She's always 110% committed to every one of her roles, whether it be on SNL or another film. But what I loved about Kristen's work as Maggie Mayhem in this film was that she showed us she can be a little serious and sensitive, too. She played the most sincere single mom who was just out there doing what she loved, FOR who she loved. I was truly touched, Kristen....thank you.... :)

The only thing I would have changed about this movie was maybe having a little less Drew Barrymore in it. I mean, don't get me wrong, I LOVE Drew, and I am so proud of her new directing accomplishment! And I also LOVE seeing directors in their own movies...but to an extent. I always look for M. Night in his films, but they are usually small roles. He's usually in a scene or two, and that's it. But Drew was still a major character in this film. I mean, props to her for handling it all, but I would have rather seen her as a beauty contest judge for a scene or two, rather than her ditsy self as a roller derby chick. Love her....but just saying....

I give this movie 0.5 RED BULLS!
(As much as I liked it, I would only need half a Red Bull to watch it again.)

No comments:

Post a Comment