Wednesday, October 14, 2009

National Equality March - October 11th, 2009





Wow.

It's only been a couple of days, but I am still quite emotional over the experience I had at the National March for Equality in Washington, D.C. that took place on October 11th, 2009...

First of all, I just want to THANK EVERYONE WHO ATTENDED!!! The last I heard there was over 150,000 people there, which truly makes it the largest march for gay/equal rights in the past decade! GO US! :)

Next, I am 26, and to some, I am still young, but I was TRULY INSPIRED by the amount of teenagers I saw at the rally. My brother is also gay, and he came out at a much earlier age than I did, and I always admired him for that. So to all the teens who attended, way to represent. :)

Also, I received MUCHO SUPPORT from friends and family members before I went down to D.C., and I just want to thank everyone else who (for whatever reason...) could NOT make it down to the march for sending someone in their place to represent them. I, personally, felt like I was representing AT LEAST 10 friends who weren't there physically, but it made me feel like a stronger person. :)

I also MUST THANK Broadway Impact. They, alone (with Equity Cares) sponsored 25 buses from NYC to D.C. and back, bring 1400 people to the march, and that is truly amazing! This organization makes me want to do more for gay rights....so THANK YOU BROADWAY IMPACT for being a true leader! :)

Now, as for the march itself....

Again.

Wow. :)

To start the day off with a RAINBOW IN THE SKY WITH NO RAIN FOR MILES....that is TRULY a sign from a higher power! The weather couldn't have been better, I was only bummed because I prepared for the cold by wearing my rainbow sweatshirt, but it was so hot, I had to take it off....thank God I had my "peace shirt" underneath....

But it truly felt inspirational and emotional to march down the streets of Washington with THOUSANDS of people with the same beliefs! I took many great pics at the White House, as well as the Capitol where we ended up, but no words can really recapture the moment as I was living it. Marching for something you TRULY BELIEVE IN is something EVERYONE has to do AT LEAST ONCE in their lifetime....

I was also very proud to find that my hometown friend, Tanner Efinger, made a BEAUTIFUL speech at the rally! Just another reason to be proud... :)

I was also glad that many people were standing up to President Obama. Yes, we know we voted him in, but one of the speakers said it best when she said, "We voted for you because we BELIEVE you are the one who can help us. BUT...we can no longer wait. The time is NOW! CHANGE IS NOW! NOW! NOW! NOW!" I only HOPE the President heard....

On the other hand.....President Obama made some MAJOR promises at the HRC dinner the night before. I would love to see him hold up to these promises in the next 3 years, just in case he can't get re-elected, but we shall see what the future brings....

Finally, I realized something today....

Someone told me that it is "sad that we have to march for our own rights." But I actually have to disagree....

I am actually GLAD that I have to march for my own equal rights! Our forefathers have always talked about "those who died to defend this country," well....maybe it's MY TURN (or OUR TURN) to defend it! I am actually PROUD that WHEN I have equal rights, I will have EARNED THEM MYSELF! And after this march, I won't have to say that I did NOTHING just to be treated equal....

....I can say that I MARCHED for my rights....and DAMN did it feel good.... :)

KEEP EQUALITY GOING!!!

TELL YOUR STORY....

PASS MINE ALONG!

PASS MY VIDEO ALONG: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AS-VKJn5lPw

KEEP LOVE STRONG!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment